Friday, July 9, 2010

Drake - Thank Me Later Album Review.

Photobucket
For the first time since Wale's Attention Deficit I actually went out and bought an album
1. Fireworks
Honestly I liked the original leaked version of this song where it was just Alicia singing w/o Drakes added hook. However I still found myself listening to this version as well.
2. Karoke
Ehh song is mediocre. I wasn't really feeling it in particular I think Drake using the autotune wasn't really needed.
3. The Resistance
Loved this song its the typical original Drake we got to know with the honesty. He wrote this like a So Far Gone type track letting his listeners know whats going on in his life from his grandma being in a nursing home to him getting some girl pregnant and her aborting it.
4. Over
Ehh one of the chosen singles he did. This track was more of a gloating track like Yeah I'm Drizzy I made it and middle fingers to those who don't like it. Yep I get it Drake.
5. Show Me a Good Time
Really Nice Beat Selection that takes you for a ride from the moment it starts. The song allows you to receive exactly what its titled: A Good Time. Most memorable quote "Living Nights that I can't remember with the people that I won't forget". Really a reminiscent reflective type song on those fun nightlife outings.
6. Up All Night ft. Nicki Minaj
One of those freestyling type songs that have to grow on you but its nice if you have an excellent amp system installed in your car.
7. Fancy (ft. T.I. and Swizz Beats)
Drake worked wonders with track however it is produced by Swizz Beats so that speaks for itself. This song is solely made for the ladies in order to boost their confidence and simply make them feel good before they go out. Also the breakdown at the end is one of my fav parts. Good Job Drake.
8. Shut It Down (ft. The Dream)
Another one of his songs made solely for the ladies. The beat is real mellow so you really have to turn your volume up to hear the song. But once thats done for the most part it is a really good enjoyable song that most women will sing along to in their song.
9. Unforgettable (ft. Young Jeezy)
The Aaliyah Sample was a good pick however I think the song should have been given a completely different approach and I feel like him and Jeezy aren't a nice collaboration. Also Jeezy's voice didn't flow well riding on top of an Aaliyah beat. Nuff Said.
10. Light Up (Ft. Jay Z)
Another song showing the changes that Drake is going through gaining stardom. The beat sounds really dark as if you need like a candle with you just to listen to it or something lol Idk thats just the feel it gives me. Then Jay-Z's part just makes me want to turn from the song becausae he starts talking that suspect I come from a higher power type madness sooo yeah NEXT.
11. Miss Me (ft. Lil Wayne)
Love the beat choice and Lil Waynes typical shii talking lol Depending on how long Drakes career rides out and with all his progression to come we will be able to figure out if we will Miss Him when he's gone.
12. Cece's Interlude
Another one of those tracks that are mediocre but I can skip over it w/ no regret.
13. Find Your Love
Another one of his singles that I absolutely loved. Hey Hey Hey haha yeah He did his thing on this one.
14. Thank Me Now
A great way to end the album.

Overall I give the album 7/10 It was a great album but not as impactive to me as it could have been for his first album. Usually when listening to someones first album it will stick with you like man that was good stuff but even though I'm playing it out now I have the feeling after awhile I'll get tired of it. Also I feel like he had too many features taking the main focus off of him the majority should have been just him as he had a point to prove after the anticipation from his album. A well put together album but doesn't go down as a classic in my book.

No comments: