Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Change

martin luther king jr and obama Pictures, Images and Photos
These past two days have been very important. Yesterday was the holiday of the late great Martin Luther King Jr. may he rest in peace and Today was the inaugaration(spell check?). I remember back in elementary school learning about the story of Martin Luther King and what he did not just for black people but for the world. How he would boycott, give motivational and inspirational speeches, how he put his family in a peril of a situation and made a sacrifice for a better world. I can remember thinking this is no ordinary man and for a young child learning all of this can put so much through your head. As I continued to grow older and move on from grade to grade not only from school did I learn about my culture but Thank God for my dad because although he may erk my nerves at times I learned so much from him too. I've tooken trips to the south and I've been to the muesem in I beleive it was Montgomery where they had a display of The Rosa Parks bus and it was crazy because you walk on the bus and if you sit down out of no where you can hear the bus driver tell you the same thing he told Rosa Parks and it was like you were actually there when it happened. I've learned about stories such as Ruby Bridges, Emmit Till, and the Little Rock 9 and in My lifetime even whitnessed stories like the Jena 6 and whitnessed a disatorous event such as Katrina. I've not only visited muesems but i've been to plantations where my ancestors who were once slaves but in so much hard work. Crazy how at a time Black people weren't even allowed to vote and now we get to whittness our first black president. Had you asked me when I was younger did I ever think I would get to see a black president I probably would have said its possible but I'll believe it when I see it and now I can say I've seen it. This is not only a celebration for black people but for people all around the world. As of Nov.4th, 2008 and Jan.20th, 2009 i've seen people from all around the world, all ethnicties, have came together in unison to celebrate this historical event and not only is this a new opening of change but it is now a new reason for black people, latino, asians, pacific islander and just everyone to stop making excuses for why they can't do something because this just shows that you can do anything you want if you put your mind too it. Everyday I walk out the door I'm proud of who I am, proud of everything that my people have made possible, proud of all the doors that have been opened for me, and most importantly proud that my people have experienced all these things and sacrificed for future generations like mine and the ones who will come after mines. This past year even though I didn't get to vote I encouraged my friends and family to because even those who didn't vote for Obama still can't change the fact that the world has made history. This past week I heard a phrase saying that we can't change the world unless we change ourselves and well Obama must have changed himself as a person because he is currently changing the world. So with that being said all I have left to say is now when someone tells me to dream big and I close my eyes to envision myself changing the world I will be able to think the phrases YES WE CAN, YES WE WILL and soon enough YES WE DID. =)

No comments: